The library is governed by a nine-member Board of Trustees. Seven trustees are appointed by the Mayor of Menasha with Common Council approval. One of those seven is the Menasha Joint School District Superintendent of Schools or his/her appointee. Another two trustees are appointed by the Winnebago County Executive with County Board approval. A non-voting teen representative is appointed by the Library Director with approval by the Library Board of Trustees.
The Elisha D. Smith Public Library Board of Trustees meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 4:30pm in one of the library's lower level meeting rooms. The public is invited to attend. Those with special needs are encouraged to call the library office at 967.3662, within 24 hours of the event, to assure that specific needs with regards to parking, building and meeting room accessibility are met. Agenda are posted in the library, at City Hall, and at the link below. All meetings are open to the public unless otherwise noted on the agenda.
The Elisha D. Smith Public Library Board of Trustees is a decision-making team charged with specific powers and duties spelled out in Section 43.58 of the Wisconsin Statutes. The Board’s primary responsibilities include:
- Exclusive control of all library expenditures.
- Control of all lands, buildings, money, and property acquired or leased by the municipality for library purposes.
- Hiring and supervising the library director.
- Prescribing the duties and compensation of all library employees.
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 - Introduction
- Chapter 2 - Patron and Circulation Policies
- Chapter 3 - Selection of Materials Policy
- Chapter 4 - Services and Facilities Policy
- Chapter 5 - Organizational Structure Policy
- Chapter 6 - Financial and Business Policy
- Chapter 7 - Personnel Policy
- Chapter 8 - Volunteer Policy
- Chairman of the Board: Robert W. Golz
- Vice Chairman: Jill Halverson
- Secretary: Carrie Lane
- Menasha Joint School District Superintendent Chris VanderHeyden
- Allisen Stojanovic
- Christina S. Turner
- Cynthia Witt (Winnebago County Representative)
- David Schwerbel
- Joseph Franzoi (Winnebago County Representative)
- Divyasree Chintamani (Teen Representative)