ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY
Elisha D. Smith Public Library volunteers supplement the efforts of paid library staff to provide quality library collections, services, and programs.
A. STATUS WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION
1. Volunteering allows area residents to become familiar with the library and creates opportunities for individuals to feel personal satisfaction while performing a valuable service for the community.
2. Volunteers are not “subject workers” as defined by the state workers’ compensation law; therefore they do not have worker’s compensation coverage.
3. Volunteers will be given an overview of the library and relevant training.
4. Volunteers will be supervised by a library supervisor or librarian. Performance problems will be corrected or the volunteer service will be terminated.
5. Volunteers are recognized by the public as representatives of the library and shall be guided by the same work, conduct and behavior codes as library employees.
1. Volunteers who work on a regular basis shall fill out volunteer information registration forms, which will be kept on file in Library Administration.
2. Minor children may only work as volunteers with the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
3. Volunteers 18 and older may begin serving at the library pending satisfactory results of a background check.
4. The library director has the final authority to accept or reject a volunteer applicant.
5. The library shall not be responsible for damage to a volunteer’s personal property regardless of whether the damage occurs while the volunteer is performing authorized library duties or not. If private property is damaged in that context, the library shall make a thorough investigation of the incident and complete a report of the findings. The library does not provide insurance coverage for a volunteer’s privately-owned vehicle; volunteers should confirm that their personal auto insurance policy provides coverage for this use. A volunteer’s personal auto insurance will be considered primary. All volunteers who drive non-library-owned vehicles for library business shall be required to purchase at their own expense and maintain auto insurance, at a level set by the library.
Approved by the Elisha D. Smith Public Library Board of Trustees, October 26, 2016