Summer Hours - Weekdays 12-3
School Year Hours - Weekdays 3-6
- CREATE something unique
- EXPLORE your interests & hobbies
- LEARN through play and experimentation
SMITHworks is the interest-driven creator space at the Elisha D. Smith Public Library. With this space, we are taking the next step in our mission to support lifelong learning by creating an environment for our community to engage in hands-on learning. Learning efforts are supported by: library staff, subject experts from our community, and the library’s collection of books, videos, and databases.
Research has shown that actively producing, creating, experimenting, and designing creates positive learning outcomes and allows users to make meaningful contributions to today’s rapidly changing workforce. This shared space offers unprecedented opportunities for community members to share interests and contribute to a common purpose. Better understanding of our community and ourselves can be found through intergenerational programming and exploration.
Our space seeks to both inspire and showcase the creative talents of our community members as well as help them develop the skills needed to achieve their goals. Our inventory includes a wide variety of tools and technologies to spark the imagination of anyone coming into the space. See below for a list of our most utilized resources.
Computers: Our space contains a wide range of machines to meet a variety of needs. Including powerful Windows PCs, for media editing and design.
3D Printers: Get introduced to the world of micromanufacturing. Our space offers two 3D filament printers, as well as software to design your own models. Learn more about 3Dprinting here: https://menashalibrary.org/3dprinting
Printing Options: SMITHworks offers multiple options for printing your creations.
- We have a large format Canon printer which can print up to 2' x 10' on photo stock or vinyl.
- Our Epson photo printer can print dynamic, high-resolution photographs up to 13 x19 inches.
Epoxy Resin: We offer all the supplies for doing your own epoxy resin crafts. Learn more about it here: https://menashalibrary.org/resin
Digital Drawing Tablet: Whether you’re still creating on paper or using a pen tablet, our digital drawing tablet allows seamless and natural interaction between pen and display to take your skills to the next level.
Laser Cutter / Engraver: Our laser cutting provides for a wide range of creative possibilities. The versatility, speed, and precision allows users to quickly bring ideas to reality. Our laser can cut and engrave a wide range of materials such as wood and acrylic. Learn more here: https://menashalibrary.org/lasercutter
Media Creation: Our wide array of recording tools allows you to create the video and audio content you never thought possible. Cameras, lighting, and green screen expand those opportunities.
Cricut Makers: We have Cricuts available for use in SMITHworks for cutting and making cards, stickers, and heat transfer vinyl for your t-shirt or tote bags! Learn more here: https://www.menashalibrary.org/cricut
Applications / Software
- Adobe Photoshop is a graphics editing program for 2D, 3D, and motion graphics. In addition to its array of features for graphic designers, Photoshop offers measurement and analysis tools built with scientists and engineers in mind.
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is a photo processor and image organizer for: viewing, optimizing, and retouching images.
- Adobe Illustrator is a vector-based drawing tool built for professional artists and designers.
- Adobe InDesign is a page layout program built for professional print designers to create rich, complex documents. InDesign content can be exported in a variety of formats, so you can publish the same documents across print and electronic media.
- Adobe Premiere Pro is a timeline-based video editing program with editing support for multiple high-definition video formats.
- Adobe After Effects is a postproduction tool for creating and editing motion graphics and visual effects in film and video.
- Adobe Audition is digital audio software for recording and editing audio files in a multitrack, nondestructive environment.
- Adobe Dreamweaver is a professional development tool for: designing, coding, developing, and publishing web pages and web-based applications.
- Studio One 5. Record, produce, compose, mix, master, and perform—all from a single, intuitive application. In addition, our subscription includes access to: bonus instruments, loops, sound effects, and instructional videos.
- IdeaMaker 3D slicer allows you to customize and prepare your 3D files for our filament printers. They are simple to use and take the guesswork out of the 3D printing process.