ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY
INTRODUCTION TO POLICIES
The Elisha D. Smith Public Library is a dynamic and responsive community center for our diverse population. We offer equal access to materials, programming, services and entertainment to inspire and enrich while supporting learning for all ages.
1. A free public library is essential to the public good.
2. All library users are entitled to the highest level of service.
3. All library users have a right to privacy and intellectual freedom.
The Elisha D. Smith Public Library will enhance the quality of life in our diverse community as we lead with exceptional customer service, a vibrant collection, innovative technology, and responsiveness to the people we serve.
1. To collect, organize, preserve, and make available to all members of the community materials, information, and technology that meet the needs of the community.
2. To assist those who need to reach beyond the immediate resources of this library to other libraries and information services.
3. To promote reading and lifelong learning.
4. To support and complement the activities of the schools and other educational and cultural institutions and groups of the community.
To establish the library as a cultural center for the community.
The Elisha D. Smith Public Library Board of Trustees establishes library policies. The board meets once a month at a publicly announced time and venue. Regular, Special, and Committee meetings are open to the public according to Wisconsin State Law, except for matters of business legally excepted under the law.
Approved by the Elisha D. Smith Public Library Board of Trustees October 17, 2013