Friends of the Menasha Library support the library in many ways. Everyone who supports the library is a Friend of the Menasha Library. There is no formal application; there are no dues to pay.
Use the Library
- Friends of the Library visit the library, check out materials, attend programs, and bring family and friends to the library. They make the library an important part of their life.
- Some Friends volunteer at book sales or buy books at the book sales. All of the proceeds directly support library programs and materials.
- Some Friends volunteer in other capacities. They monitor programs, shelve books, water plants, prepare for book sales, and more. Interested in volunteering? Complete this form and return it to the Reference Desk. Here is the library's volunteer policy.
- Some Friends of the Library speak with city or state officials on the library's behalf. If you like the library, please let your alderman, supervisors, and legislators know how you feel.
Donate to the Library
The library has an Endowment Fund that supports library programs, services, and equipment beyond what taxes fund. The endowment depends on donations to continue and grow. Donations to this fund should be directed to the library's fund at Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region. Donations to this fund are donations to a 501(c)(3) organization. It is recommned that donors consult a tax advisor/attorney/accountant/IRS to confirm that a donation meets their specific needs and to determine the maximum benefit of the donation.
- Planned giving is a way to ensure the library is always there to support our community. Planned giving allows you to receive tax benefits today while helping others tomorrow. There are many ways to make such a legacy gift to the Elisha D. Smith Public Library:
- Cash, securities, or real property.
- As a bequest (in a will) to the Elisha D. Smith Public Library.
- Life insurance gift designating the Elisha D. Smith Public Library as the beneficiary in a new or existing life insurance policy.
- A charitable remainder or living trust from which you or another beneficiary may receive income during a defined period of time (or lifetime) with a provision that the trust assets become the property of the library thereafter.
- As an IRA gift designating the Elisha D. Smith Public Library as the beneficiary, or with an IRA Rollover.
- Gifts of stocks, bonds or mutual funds are welcome. Please work with the Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region to make such a gift to the library's endowment fund.
- General donations are accepted to support the library in numerous ways. These may be given with a specific purpose in mind or as an open donation for the library to use to support its programs and services. Send your donation to Elisha D. Smith Public Library, 440 1st St., Menasha, WI 54952
- Memorials and Honorariums may be donated in someone's name. This can be done with a single small donation or a fund can be created in a person's name that carries from year to year to support the library. We are happy to work with you so that funds are being used in a way that will honor a person's interests. Use this form.
- Donations of materials (i.e., books, compact discs, dvds, record albums, etc.) are also appreciated. Some are added to the library collection; most are sold in the Friends' book sales. Donations may be brought to the Circulation Desk.
Thank you for supporting the library in so many ways! Together, we make materials, information, and technology available to everyone in our community, we promote lifelong learning, we support and complement the activities of our schools, institutions, and community groups, and we make the library a cultural center of our community.
Albert Einstein was asked how we make our children intelligent. “If you want your children to be intelligent,” he said, “read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”