BUILDING AND GROUNDS COMMITTEE
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
September 10, 2019
Called to order at 10:49am by Chairman Schwerbel
Present: Franzoi, Golz and Schwerbel
Not present: Turner
Also Present: Master Electrician and Facilities Technician Haessly, Park/Street Superintendent Brown, Director Lenz and Business Manager Dreyer
Public Comment/Communication: None
Franzoi moved, Golz seconded to approve the meeting minutes of August 13, 2019. Correction: Architect Brannin Gries not Brandon. The motion was unanimously approved.
- Committee reviewed building recommendations by staff and The Library’s Image from the DPI website.
- Meeting room usage is up 15.6%. There is a trend of libraries being a community space with access to information. With the increased usage, parking becomes a problem.
- Lenz will talk to the Neenah Public Library and the Appleton Public Library Directors to see how they are planning to allocate their resources and who they are working with. Franzoi will contact the Aspen Institute.
- Committee members are considering a trip to the Madison Public Library to tour their facility.
- We received an insurance reimbursement for the old compressor in the amount of $29,939.60. The compressors are alternating between A & B. Brown will find out where the insurance claim will go.
- The mother’s room was held until the parking lot resurfacing costs came in.
- We received a quote from D&M Interiors for carpet tiles for the vestibule walk area, A/V collection, circulation room/area and entrance/youth hall for about $30,000. Brown will get quotes and samples of a more durable material other than carpet.
- One of the parking lot lights on the apron between the library and the fire stations that is owned and maintained by Menasha Utilities is gone. Haessly is recommending replacing it so we will no longer rent it and the other lights in the parking lot so they match at a cost of $5,552.60. A percentage of the cost would be paid by the fire department. Motion made by Franzoi, seconded by Golz to authorize the recommending to the board the expense of $5,552.60 in our capital budget with a percentage paid by the fire department to replace the parking lot lights in 2019. Motion carried unanimously.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 8, at 8:45 am.
Schwerbel moved to adjourn, seconded by Golz at 11:38am. The motion was unanimously approved.
Kathy Dreyer, recording secretary