ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Elisha D. Smith Public Library
Gegan Board Room
June 26, 2019
Called to order at 4:01pm by Vice Chairman Golz
Present: Vice Chairman Golz, Secretary Halverson, Trustee Franzoi, Trustee Lane, Trustee Turner, & Superintendent of Schools VanderHeyden (arrived at 4:05pm)
Absent: Chairman Englebert, Ad Hoc Trustee Hermans, Trustee Schwerbel, and Teen Representative Genz
Also Present: Director Lenz, Brandt (Support Services Supervisor) and Business Manager Dreyer
Motion made by Franzoi, seconded by Witt to approve the Library Board meeting minutes from
May 22, 2019. Motion carried unanimously.
Authorization of Bills
Motion made by Golz, seconded by Halverson to authorize payment of the June 2019 list of bills from the 2019 budget and endowment fund. Motion carried unanimously.
Promoting how to use the library.
Since the Nicolet, Winnefox and Outagamie Waupaca library systems are considering merging into one integrated automation system (ILS), it does not make sense to create videos or screencasts at this time on how to use the library. Patrons will readily take bookmarks with them when they check out, and a bookmark is in the works.
1. May Statistics.
Overall circulation is down 5.9%. Meeting room use, adult and young adult program attendance, website visits and use of online materials have increased significantly.
2. 2019 Budget Status.
Trustees reviewed a budget status report.
3. Staff Reports
· The 2020 Library closings were sent with the board materials. Motion made by Franzoi, seconded by VanderHeyden to approve the suggested closings for 2020. Motion carried unanimously.
· Golz, Englebert, Lenz, Mayor Merkes and City Administrator John Jacobs met to discuss next year’s budget and Winnebago County Facilities funding.
· Englebert, Vanderheyden, Librarian Ana Maria Acosta, Lenz, MJSD Librarian Jen Peterson, and MJSD Bilingual Coordinator Gretchen Lettau met to discuss outreach to our Latinx community.
· One Monday, June 24, the library board’s Marketing & Resource Development Committee met and discussed applying for a Basic Needs grant from the Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region, Inc. to hire a part-time Outreach Coordinator. The grant deadline is September 1. The committee will be meet on July 29 to brainstorm tactics and actions for the 2019-2023 Marketing Plan.
· Over 500 kids have signed up for the Summer Reading Program.
· A committee of members of the Nicolet, OWLS and Winnefox library systems is reviewing ILS vendors (Innovative Interfaces’ two products Sierra and Polaris and Sirsi Dynix) to recommend to the NOW Consortium.
· Employees from the Menasha Police Department, Neenah Menasha Fire Department, Menasha Health Department and the Library are attending a Menasha Addiction Assistance training at City Hall this week.
· At the next meeting, trustees will vote on a meeting day and time. It was suggested moving the meetings to the 4th Tuesday of each month at 4:30pm. Lenz will run that by trustees who did not attend this meeting.
Motion to adjourn made at 4:56pm by Witt , seconded by Franzoi. Motion carried unanimously.
Kathy Dreyer, Recording Secretary