Here are some guidelines for staying safe:
- Be sure that your parent knows where you are at all times.
- Never go to the mall, movie theater, bowling alley, park, or school ground alone.
- Try not to walk to or from school or extracurricular activities alone.
- Have a code word that your friends or parents know. For example, saying “I’m fine” means “Not okay! I need help!” Or use the percentage sign or some unique symbol that will allow you to text one quick symbol to tell someone you are in trouble.
- Have specific and periodic checkin times with your parent.
- Never believe anyone you don't know in a text or an email.
- Never go to a party without a parent present at all times.
- Never leave any drink, even water, unattended at any party or event.