Elisha D. Smith Public Library
Company E Room
December 27, 2022

Called to order at 4:01pm by Chair Halverson
Present:     Trustee Eisenach, Chair Halverson, Secretary Lane, Trustee Stojanovic, Trustee Turner (arrived at 4:08pm) and Superintendent of Schools VanderHeyden
Absent:    Trustee Franzoi, Vice Chairman Golz, Trustee Witt and Teen Rep E. Lane
Also Present: Lorin Ganzel, Director Kopetsky, and Business Manager Dreyer

Public Comment/Communication

Consent Business
A motion was made by VanderHeyden seconded by Lane to approve the Library Board of Trustees meeting minutes from November 22, 2022.  Motion carried unanimously.  

Authorization of Bills
A motion was made by Lane, seconded by Stojanovic to authorize payment of the December 2022 list of bills from the 2022 budget and endowment fund.  Motion carried unanimously.  

Planning Process Update  
EUA is 25% done with the drawings.  The renderings need to be completed in order to get a cost estimate.  This should be done by mid-January.  

501(c)3 Update
Kopetsky forwarded all requested information to Att. Matthew Brehmer.  In January, Kopetsky would like to hold a preliminary meeting with the Friends officers.

New Business
Director’s Report

  • Kopetsky discussed holding a retreat for trustees.
  • We are seeing 15-20 people a day using the Makerspace.
  • We are working with U. W. Oshkosh Fox Cities Campus to develop a cohort of volunteers from the Kings (international students) Program.  
  • We have begun cataloging the materials for the library of things and setting up the space for their display.  This collection should be available for checkout by the next board meeting.  
  • Kopetsky is looking to partner with the Boys & Girls Club and other organizations for the summer reading program.
  • Kopetsky is working with the management team to edit the various job descriptions for library staff.  We are also reviewing library policies and bring recommendations to the Policies and Personnel Committee.
  • Lisa Laux Robak has joined our team as a library assistant.  She also works at the Neenah Public Library.  
  • We have made an offer to another casual library assistant.  
  • Kopetsky is talking with Gretchen Raab, Director of the Neenah Public Library about sharing casual staff in the event of illnesses, vacations, or larger programs.   

November Statistics
Materials circulation continues to nudge its way back up to pre-COVID levels with the exception of DVD’s which have stabilized.  Meeting room users continue to grow and is approaching capacity of the spaces we have available.

2022 Budget Status
Trustees reviewed the 2022 budget status.  

Staff Reports
In 2023, collection development will be worked on as a team approach.

Adjourn into Closed Session:  Motion made by Turner, seconded by VanderHeyden to adjourn into closed session pursuant to §19.85(1)(c), Wis. Stats., Considering employment, promotion, compensation or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility. Director’s annual performance review and compensation.

Roll call vote:  all board members voted in favor, none opposed.  The meeting adjourned into closed session at 4:40pm.  

Adjourn into Open Session
Motion made by VanderHeyuden, seconded by Lane to adjourn and reconvene into open session.  

Roll call vote: all board members voted in favor, none opposed. The meeting adjourned into open session at 5:10pm.

Motion made by Turner, seconded by Lane that we increase Kopetsky’s salary by the 4% COLA and give him a 3% merit increase for a total of 7% increase in compensation.  Motion carried unanimously.


Our next Board of Trustees meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 24, 2023, at 4:00pm.

Motion to adjourn made at 5:23pm by Lane, seconded by Stojanovic.  Motion carried unanimously.

Respectfully submitted,
Kathy Dreyer, Recording Secretary