ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Elisha D. Smith Public Library
March 23, 2021
Called to order at 4:00pm by Chairman Golz
Present: Trustee Derencius, Trustee Franzoi, Chairman Golz, Vice Chair Halverson, Trustee Schwerbel, Trustee Turner (arrived at 4:45pm), Superintendent of Schools VanderHeyden, Trustee Witt and Teen Rep. White
Absent: Secretary Lane
Also Present: Childrens Services Supervisor Beson, Support Services Supervisor Raschke, Adult Services Supervisor Moore-Nokes and Business Manager Dreyer
A motion was made by VanderHeyden, seconded by Franzoi to approve the Library Board of Trustee meeting minutes from February 23, 2021 and accept the minutes of the Building & Grounds Committee meeting from February 17 & 24 and March 3 & 10. Motion carried unanimously.
Authorization of Bills
A motion was made by Witt, seconded by Franzoi to authorize payment of the March 2021 list of bills and endowment fund from the 2021 budget. The invoice from Automated Comfort Controls is for the building automated controls upgrade, Evergreen Power is for a backpack blower, and Showcases is for CD albums. Motion carried unanimously.
Director Search Update
Brian Kopetsky will be starting on April 19 as the library’s new director.
Building & Grounds Committee Update
Golz and Schwerbel will be meeting with architects and find out if their process includes community engagement, visioning and programming to bring us to the fundraising phase. The committee will need to determine at what point we get fundraisers involved. The committee will put together a budget and then determine how it will be funded.
Beson left the meeting at 4:57pm and VanderHeyden left the meeting at 4:59pm.
125th Anniversary Celebration Committee Update
- In February, we celebrated the 125th Anniversary with a concert by Erin Krebs and Facebook contests in which we gave away 2 gift baskets.
- On March 25, Kathy Humski will chronicle the life of Elisha D. Smith.
- We're celebrating the birthday of Elisha D. Smith with a spring break virtual concert by Randy Peterson on March 29.
- On March 30, Rondini will perform a virtual magic show.
- We will be giving away Festival Foods gift certificates for people attending and commenting on events on Facebook. A 3-month YMCA membership will be given to a patron who comes into the library and checks out materials.
- In August, the committee would like to plan an in-person outdoor event.
Trustees reviewed the February statistics.
Building & Grounds Subcommittee Approval and Duties
Golz is recommending that a Facilities Task Force be formed to develop a plan, monitor the facilities usage plan and take this project up to the fundraising phase. Golz will appoint 6-10 trustees and people from outside the board. Schwerbel will serve as chair. This task force will make recommendations to the board and will have no legal authority. A motion was made by Franzoi, seconded by Halverson to form the Facilities Task Force as described above. Motion carried unanimously.
2021 Budget Status Report
Trustees reviewed the 2021 budget status. The capital improvement budget status will be reported on next month.
Franzoi left the meeting at 5:26pm.
Status of Library Services/Staff Reports
- Most of the staff has started receiving the COVID vaccine.
- Adult Services is working on their regular programs such as 125th Anniversary, Fox Cities Reads, AARP and the Menasha Community Addition Assistance Program. Most of the summer programming will be virtual. They are also getting the book sale room in order.
- Patrons have been excited to come into the library. We are still offering curbside service and will probably be continuing it after COVID.
Motion to adjourn made at 5:42pm by Schwerbel, seconded by Witt. Motion carried unanimously.
Kathy Dreyer, Recording Secretary