2021 is special year for our library. We are celebrating 125 years as a public library!
We plan to celebrate throughout the year with special events and programs which will highlight our history through the present day and share plans for the future of Menasha Public Library. We would not exist without the love and support of our community. Your participation will be sought out at various times throughout 2021.
- Dinner & a Movie at Smith Park on Thursday August 12, 5:00-10:00pm
The Elisha D. Smith Public Library will host a “Dinner and A Movie” event on Thursday, August 12, from 5:00 to 10:00 p.m. at Smith Park, located at 310 Park Street in Menasha. Planned in tandem with the Menasha Historical Society and the City of Menasha, the family-friendly event will feature music, games for all ages, prize giveaways, and food available for purchase from four area food trucks: Inferno Subs (including kid meals), Los Tres Manantiales (authentic Mexican fare), Zoua’s Fresh Egg Rolls (featuring a variety of Asian cuisine), and Thibby’s Ice Cream (with a huge assortment of ice cream treats).
Menasha Mayor Don Merkes and Library Director Brian Kopetsky will welcome attendees, followed by a short presentation of the library’s history by Kathy Humski from the Menasha Historical Society. All activities that night are free and will include a variety of lawn games, a strolling magician, a “story walk,” scavenger hunt, water rockets and creation of a community mural. The caboose at Smith Park will also be open for tours that night, and prize drawings will be held throughout the evening. A free outdoor showing of the fan-favorite movie How To Train Your Dragon will start at dusk in the park, and free popcorn will be served. The public is invited and encouraged to join in the entire evening of celebration, so bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and bug spray!
Watch Virtual Events
- Music Notes for 125 Years of Service: Our first celebratory program - featuring performances by talented musicians who have performed at the library. Thanks to the artists that shared their talent with us: Randy Peterson, Erin Krebs Music | Erin Krebs, Druids Table, Dave Olsen, Christopher Evenson, Steve Heiner, Renée Millard, Elvis John, John E Lambert Jr., & Pudge (brothers Anthony & Andrew McNamara). Originally aired on our Facebook page on Thursday, January 14, 2021.
- Elisha D. Smith - A Life: As part of our year-long celebration of the library's 125th anniversary, Kathy Humski from the Menasha Historical Society will chronicle the life of library benefactor Elisha D. Smith, one of the first businessmen to settle in Menasha. Originally aired on our Facebook page on Thursday, March 25, 2021.
- Elisha D. Smith Birthday Concert with Randy Peterson: Originally aired on our Facebook page on Monday, March 30, 2021.
- Rondini Magic Show: Originally aired on our Facebook page on Tuesday, March 31, 2021.
History of the Library
- January 1896 State Library Certification
- 60 Years in the Life of the Elisha D. Smith Public Library by Harold Josef Bachmann (1956)
- Reading and Leading (1996)
- Library History Timeline
- A Brief History of the Library webpage
- Channel 5 We are Green Bay News Spot
- 125th Anniversary Mayoral Proclamation
- Menasha Library Anniversary News Release
Share Your Story