ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY TRUSTEES
4:00 p.m. Thursday, February 17, 2011
Co E Room
(If Board Members cannot attend, please notify the Library Office)
CALL TO ORDER:
AUTHORIZATION OF BILLS:
- List of bills for December 2010.
- List of bills for February 2011.
- Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting January 20, 2011.
- Minutes. Minutes of Ad Hoc Planning Committee meeting January 26, 2011.
- Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting February 2, 2011.
INFORMATION ITEMS/DIRECTOR’S REPORT:
- Website Statistics.
- Endowment Donations.
- Annual Report.
- Diversity Fair.
- Report from Ad Hoc Planning Committee.
- Mileage Rate.
- Trustee Essentials.
UPCOMING MEETINGS & ACTIVITIES
(Including requests for business items for future meetings)
- Library Board Meeting – March 17 at 4:00 pm.
- Fox Cities Book Festival – April 11-17
Menasha aldermen may attend meetings of this body. A quorum of the Common Council, Board of Public Works, Administration Committee, or Personnel Committee may attend this meeting. No officialaction of any of those bodies will be taken.
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY
DIRECTOR’S REPORT – February 2011
- Bills. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval of bills as presented for December 2010.
- Bills. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval of bills as presented for February 2011.
- Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting January 20, 2011. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve minutes of meeting.
- Minutes. Minutes of Ad Hoc Committee meeting January 26, 2011. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve minutes of meeting.
- Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting February 2, 2011. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve minutes of meeting.
- Statistics. We had another drop in circulation this month with decreases in both adult and children’s material usage. As I have said in previous meetings, many libraries across the state are seeing decreasing figures. Additionally, we had two years of record numbers that rose very quickly and at an extreme rate. This is a return to more of a normal pattern for the library.
In addition, the drop in circulation has been seen in the years since our materials budget has been cut. Fewer new items on the shelves directly impacts how many items are checked out. While we hope to restore some of the funding in 2011 to return to 2010 levels, it is still a 10% drop from where we were in 2008.
- Website Statistics. A large piece of our library’s website visits come from my two blogs which I will be moving with me. They contribute about 85% of the visits to our website and 60% of the page views. You should anticipate a decline in February website statistics and then a real fall in March when the blogs are moved.
- Endowment Donations. The library received a $600 donation from the Ben and Debbie Adams Charitable Fund within the Community Foundation to support general operations at the library. Additionally, we received $25 donation from the Fox Valley Weaving Guild for meeting room use.
- Annual Report. I am working on the state annual report. I have completed the majority of the report and only the financial portion from the City remains to be completed. My hope is to have it completely finished by the time I leave, though if the numbers are not available at that point, staff will need to complete the report and file it online. If I do not get it completed, Winnefox is a great resource for help in completing the report.
- Diversity Fair. Our Long Range Plan calls for a Diversity Fair this year. Given my departure, I proposed to the Diversity Committee that this be postponed to 2012. There are plans to do some diversity programming for all ages rather than a full-blown fair.
- Report from Ad Hoc Planning Committee. The Ad Hoc Planning Committee can report on their progress in the hiring process for both interim and new director.
- Mileage Rate. The City has decided to set a lower mileage rate for all City employees. The rate set by the state is 51 cents per mile. The rate set by the City is 45 cents per mile. There is precedence in libraries to be reimbursed at a lower rate. The Wisconsin Library Association pays a lower rate than the state and has for years. I recommend that the library board agree to apply the lower city rate for the library employees. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve use of the lower City mileage rate for library employees.
- Trustee Essentials. I need a volunteer to cover Trustee Essential #20 on Building Accessibility at the March Board Meeting.