MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY TRUSTEES
January 15, 2009
Call to order at 4:32 p.m. by President Fuchs
Present: Derouin, Eisen, Enos, Fuchs, Nebel, Stanke, Wicihowski
Also present: Director Saecker, C. Brandt (Head of Circulation Services), J. Bongers (Head of Adult & Technical Services), K. Seefeldt (Administrative Assistant)
Authorization of Bills
1. Motion to authorize payment of the December list of bills from the 2008 budget and January list of bills from the 2009 budget by Nebel, seconded by Eisen, and carried unanimously.
2. Approve minutes from the Board meeting of December 18, 2008.
3. Accept minutes of Finance Committee meeting of December 11, 2008.
Motion to approve consent business items as presented by Nebel, seconded by Derouin, and carried unanimously.
Director’s Report/Information Items
4. Statistics. December’s lending statistics were up 28.9% overall from last year. Adult books increased by 23%, adult periodicals by 47%, DVDs by 50%, children’s books by 33.6%, children’s periodicals by 108%, and children’s books on CD by 43%. Winnefox Library System reported that our annual circulation in 2008 increased by 77,092. This was an increase of 17.13%. There were only two other libraries in the system with higher percentage increases.
5. Memorials. We received a bequest of $1000 from the will of Robert Loescher. This will be added to the Sarah Loescher Memorial. We also received $25 in memory of F. David Krizenesky, $65 as a meeting room donation from Conversations In Cloth, and $75 as a meeting room donation from McClone Insurance Group.
6. Open Positions. Four candidates have interviewed for the position of Teen Librarian. Vanessa Taylir was selected to replace Barb LaFontaine. We are now accepting applications for the 15 hour per week Reference Librarian position currently held by De Dalum.
7. Library Logo. Director Saecker polled staff on library logo choices. Results indicated no definite preference. Cate Brandt, Head of Circulation Services, noted that making a logo change at this time would be very expensive. She had recently placed a large order for library cards with the existing logo that should last us about 2 years. In light of this, she felt it would not be fiscally responsible to change the logo at this time. Discussion ensued. Fuchs recommended that we continue using the existing logo and revisit this topic in a couple of years.
8. CD Investments. A member of the board had expressed concern that by dealing with a single bank, we may not be maximizing the returns on our CD investments. Discussion ensued. The board agreed with Director Saecker’s recommendation to continue working with First National Bank who has consistently offered us better rates and flexibility on the length of our investments.
9. Long Range Plan – 2008 Objectives. Director Saecker reviewed the objectives that had been set for 2008 and reported on our level of success. We provided podcasting studios for the public, we offered more than four arts programs, we provided programs on early literacy, and we routinely updated our website. One 2008 objective we will continue to work on is to have a section on the website for cultural diversity. Progress on this was postponed because the website was being redesigned. This objective should be completed in 2009. Enos requested that Director Saecker update the board on ways that we are meeting the needs of our Spanish speaking patrons.
Joe Bongers left the meeting at 5:00 p.m.
10. Director’s Goals for 2009. Director Saecker reviewed her list of goals for 2009. She successfully completed the long range process, implemented the podcasting LSTA grant, completed chairing the Winnefox Long Range Planning process and continued her work on state and local boards. Nebel recommended that we continue to work on re-establishing our Friends organization in 2009 and pursue other partnerships in the community. Director Saecker explained that we made attempts to organize the Friends group but had little success. She also noted that pursuing other partnerships in the community is something we do on an on-going basis.
11. Trustee Essentials #6. John Nebel reviewed Trustee Essential #8 “Developing the Library Budget.” Kathy Wicihowski volunteered to review Trustee Essential #7 at the February meeting.
Motion to adjourn into closed executive sessions pursuant to WI Statute 1985(1)(c) for the purpose of considering promotion, compensation or performance evaluation of employees by Enos, seconded by Stanke and carried unanimously.
Brandt and Seefeldt left the meeting at 5:15 p.m.
12. Director Evaluation and Pay Rate for 2009. President Fuchs presented an overview of the results of Director Saecker’s annual review. The board praised the evaluation format that had been used. They suggested that the evaluation process be done earlier next year to assist the director in building her goals.
Director Saecker left the meeting at 5:48 p.m.
Motion to approve 3% adjustment for Director Saecker effective January 1, 2009 and 1 1/2 % adjustment effective July 1, 2009 by Nebel, seconded by Wicihowski. Five members voted yes and two vote no. Motion carried.
Motion to adjourn the closed session and reconvene in open session at 6:35 p.m. by Nebel, seconded by Enos, and carried unanimously.
Motion to adjourn the meeting at 6:36 p.m. by Stanke, seconded by Derouin, and carried unanimously.
Future meeting dates
The next regular board meeting will be held in the Gegan Room on Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 4:30 p.m.
Paul Eisen, Secretary
Kris Seefeldt, Recording Secretary