Board Agenda and Director's Report - June 18, 2009
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY TRUSTEES
4:00 p.m. Thursday, June 18, 2009
(If Board Members cannot attend, please notify the Library Office)
CALL TO ORDER:
AUTHORIZATION OF BILLS:
List of bills for June 2009.
CONSENT BUSINESS (Motion to approve all unless separate consideration requested):
2.Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting May 21, 2009.
3.Minutes. Minutes of Investment Committee meeting May 21, 2009.
4.Minutes. Minutes of Finance Committee meeting June 5, 2009.
INFORMATION ITEMS/DIRECTOR’S REPORT:
7.Request for Reconsideration Update.
10. Upcoming Presentations.
Nomination Committee Formation.
T-Shirts of Employees.
Trustee Essentials #9.
UPCOMING MEETINGS & ACTIVITIES
(Including requests for business items for future meetings)
·Library Board Meeting – July 16 at 4:00 pm
·ALA Annual in Chicago – July 10-14
·ALA Bus Trip from Appleton to Chicago – July 13
·WiLS World – July 28 & 29
Menasha aldermen may attend meetings of this body. A quorum of the Common Council, Board of Public Works, Administration Committee, or Personnel Committee may attend this meeting. No official action of any of those bodies will be taken.
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY
DIRECTOR’S REPORT – JUNE 2009
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY
DIRECTOR’S REPORT – JUNE 2009
1.Bills. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval of bills as presented for June 2009.
CONSENSUS ACTION ITEMS:
2.Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting May 21, 2009. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval.
3.Minutes. Minutes of Investment Committee Meeting May 21, 2009. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval.
4.Minutes. Minutes of the Finance Committee Meeting June 5, 2009. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval.
5.Statistics. This month we saw a 2.9% decrease in circulation. Once again, our adult circulation was up, this month by 5.9%. And our children’s circulation was down from its record level, decreasing by 12.9%, similar to last month. Our self-check machine numbers are now over 30%, allowing our circulation staff some needed relief from the fast pace.
6.Finance Committee. The Finance Committee will wait for further news from the City on the state of our budget for 2010. The committee discussed expanding summer weekend hours as a future budgetary focus.
7.Request for Reconsideration Update. We have had a Request for Reconsideration submitted to the library. The person is asking for the series The Nannies to be housed in the adult section of the library rather than the teen section. At this time, teen librarian, Vanessa Taylir, and I have read a book in the series. We will be setting up a meeting with the complainant to see if the matter can be resolved. The next step would be for me as director to make a recommendation which can then be referred to the board at the complainant’s request.
8.Winnefox Budget. At the end of the last month, the library system funding from the state was looking positive. Then the numbers changed. Winnefox is now being cut by 5% in 2010 and perhaps more in 2011. There was a meeting of the member directors to discuss the budget shortfall and it was agreed that the majority of the system-funded online databases would be cut, printing would be examined as a place to either charge individual libraries or cut back or both, mileage reimbursements for attending continuing education provided by the system would be eliminated, and the system would stop funding summer reading performers and summer reading materials that are purchased elsewhere. This is just the start of the necessary cuts. I will continue to keep you abreast of the situation.
Our WALS fee will increase this year because of our incredible circulation increase in 2008. The WTEC board which advises WALS and of which I am a member asked for the WALS budget to be flat funded in 2010. This still results in an increase for us because it is billed on a percentage basis, and our percentage increased with the circulation increase.
9.Parade Participation. The library participated in the Memorial Day parade by driving a Miron truck filled with children from the ARC and staffers walking alongside. The day was glorious and the children had a good time. We are looking to partner with the ARC again next year, perhaps with their teen and adult clientele. In future parades, we hope to partner with other service organizations in the community. It fills our truck with smiling faces and gives us a great reason to partner.
10. Upcoming Presentations. I will be doing several presentations this summer and fall. I am speaking about Library 2.0 and Twitter primarily.
July 21 – Southwestern Library System webinar on social networking
July 28/29 – WilsWorld presentation on Twitter and other 2.0 Tools
Sept 18 – Appleton Public Library staff meeting on Library 2.0
October 20-23 – Wisconsin Library Association Annual Conference – 3 separate programs on Twitter, Hiring Great Staff, and recommended websites
11. Nomination Committee Formation. The board needs to form a nomination committee for board officers. This is usually done through a volunteer process, though the committee is appointed by the Board President. The committee meets to create a slate of officers to recommend to the entire board at the July board meeting. REQUESTED ACTION: Form nomination committee.
12. Holiday Closings. In June the board sets the library holiday closings for the next year. In 2010, we have two holidays that need to be dealt with differently than normal. July 4th is on a Sunday and Christmas Day is on a Saturday. My recommendation is that we assign Monday, July 5th as a floating holiday for all staff, meaning we will be closed that day. For the Christmas holiday, I recommend that we assign Sunday, December 26th as a day we are closed. Other than those two days, our calendar will remain the same. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve holiday closings for 2010.
13. T-Shirts for Employees. The library in the past has paid for logo wear for staff members. We are expanding our collection of shirts to include some summery colors and I am hoping that the Board will allow us to use Endowment funds to support staff in getting new shirts. Logo wear is a great item for our staff to wear when hosting booths, tables and other events in the community. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve payment for staff logowear.
14. Trustee Essentials #9. Jill Enos will be doing a presentation on Trustee Essential #9. Please make sure to have read it yourself and bring any questions you have. I will need a volunteer for Essential #10.