ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY TRUSTEES AGENDA 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, June 19, 2007 Gegan Room (If Board Members cannot attend, please notify the Library Office)
CALL TO ORDER & ROLL CALL:
AUTHORIZATION OF BILLS:
1. Lists of bills for June 2007.
CONSENT BUSINESS (Motion to approve all unless separate consideration requested):
2. Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting May 15, 2007. 3. Minutes. Minutes of Building and Grounds meeting June 4, 2007.
INFORMATION ITEMS/DIRECTOR'S REPORT:
4. Statistics. 5. Book Sale. 6. Meet Joe. 7. Calumet County Agreement. 8. Board Nominating Committee. 9. Thank You to Leaving Board Members.
10. Signage. 11. Closing Schedule for 2008.
12. ADJOURN UPCOMING MEETINGS & ACTIVITIES (Including requests for business items for future meetings) Ã¢â‚¬Â¢ Library Board Meeting - July 17 at 4:00 pm.
Menasha aldermen may attend meetings of this body. A quorum of the Common Council, Board of Public Works, Administration Committee, or Personnel Committee may attend this meeting. No official action of any of those bodies will be taken.
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY
DIRECTOR'S REPORT - JUNE 2007
1. Bills. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval of bills as presented for June 2007.
CONSENSUS ACTION ITEMS:
2. Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting May 15, 2007. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval. 3. Minutes. Minutes of Building & Grounds meeting June 4, 2007. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval.
4. Statistics. It looks like our circulation figures are in a fluctuating pattern. For the first month since I started the Adult circulation figures fell as well as the Children's. I believe what we are seeing is a change from the peak year after the new building. Often libraries see a reduction after a new building has been around for a few years.
5. Book Sale. The book sale generated $1898.95, which is a wonderful figure for a summer book sale that has fewer hours than the rest of the year. We are looking at making the book sale less staff intensive and more of a volunteer-run program. Kathy Hannah and I will be working with our core group of Friends to see if we can make that happen for the next sale in September.
6. Meet Joe. Joe Bongers, our new Head of Adult Services, will be attending the Board Meeting. He worked at the Neenah Public Library for 8 years before joining our staff. He started here at the library on June 4th.
7. Calumet County Agreement. I am happy to announce that we have reached an agreement with Calumet County that will raise our reimbursement rate to 70% by 2010. The agreement increases their reimbursement to 50% in 2008 and 60% in 2009. The state statutes say that they must reimburse us at a rate of 70% for our cost to rural Calumet County residents. Because there is a history of tension, it was agreed that we would phase in the increases over the course of several years rather than pushing for it all at once. There was an agreement in place that did not work for the library. It did not reimburse us at our circ rate and it also capped the amount of increase in a year. This new agreement is much more beneficial to the library.
8. Board Nominating Committee. Outgoing Board President Coco O'Brien has created a nominating committee to nominate a new slate of board officers. If you would be willing to be a Board officer, please let either Coco or the nominating committee know. We will need a new President and Vice-President this year.
9. Thank You to Leaving Board Members. Thank you to those of you who have served on the Board and are now moving on. I appreciate you being willing to volunteer your time to the library, your passion for what we do, and your voices in the community. If any of you are interested in serving on the Board again, please let me know. We would be honored to have you return.
10. Signage. The Building and Grounds Committee has a recommendation for a sign to purchase for the library. The sign has a metallic gray background, side panels that echo the windows of the library, and no message center. The cost for the sign itself will be just under $8000. We will also have the expenses of wiring the site for electricity and getting a foundation laid. The City is working with us on both the wiring and the foundation. The site for the sign has also been looked at by Mark Radtke and approved as far as sightlines. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve purchase of Orde Sign design.
11. Closing Schedule for 2008. Our schedule for closings in 2008 has to be determined early the year before. The only date that is an assigned closing is Saturday, July 5th. Otherwise the closings adhere to our list of dates we are always closed each year. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve Closing Schedule for 2008.