ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
JULY 30, 2014
Called to order at 4:00pm by Crawmer
Present: Crawmer, Kiley and Wicihowski
Also Present: Marcia Erdman, Director Lenz and K. Dreyer (Administrative Assistant)
Crawmer apologized for not making it to the last meeting.
Action Items/Funraising Efforts
A. Approval of Minutes: Kiley moved, Wicihowski seconded to approve the Fundraising Committee minutes from July 17, 2014. Motion passed.
B. First Great Menasha Library Chili Cook-Off Fundraiser
• Venue: Director Lenz and Marcia Erdman went to Waverly Beach and talked to Doug Schneider about the holding the event from 12:00 – 3:00 p.m. on November 2 which is a Packer bye week. He suggested holding it during lunch time versus dinner. We can get into the facility as early as 9:00 a.m. to set up and decorate. For a couple hundred dollars, Waverly will provide the napkins, bowls, silverware and glasses. There is no room charge. He suggested putting two pots of chili per table along the sides of the room. Our goal is at least 10 pots of chili with a maximum of 20. Restaurants will be asked to bring 3 gallons of chili on Saturday-- then Waverly will heat them up and put them on burners to keep warm on Sunday. Waverly agreed to make a pot of chili. We should be open to different types of chili so that Italian and Mexican restaurants can participate. This event will only be open to chili made by restaurants. Menasha High School’s Jazz Ensemble will play from 12:00 to 12:45 p.m. We will talk to Schneider about crackers, butter, bringing in donated bread from Great Harvest, toppings unless restaurants provide, size of bowls, donated cheese tray and ladles.
• Letters: Letters with brochures need to be sent on September 2 inviting restaurants to provide 3 gallons of chili to be judged by Menasha Library Benefactors. They can provide a person to serve it or volunteers will be asked. Each participant will be listed on all publicity marketing the event. There will be no charge for them to enter. Committee members will follow-up with them the week of September 8.
• Tickets: Tickets will be sold for $20 per person in advance and $25 at the door. Tables of 8 will be sold for $200 and will include their own waitress. There should be some type of incentive to purchase a table. Tickets can be sold at the circulation desk as well as committee members asking Menasha businesses. Four free tickets could be given to each radio station: 91.1 (The Avenue) and 91.9 (The Family), if they advertise the event.
• Voting: Tickets can be used as their ballot. Tickets will be placed in slotted containers located next to each chili. Votes will need to be in by 2:30 p.m. and the winner announced at 3:00 p.m. Instead of a plaque, a framed certificate with be given.
• Items that need to be ordered/created: T-shirts could be ordered for those volunteering and could say “Chilin’ with a Good Book”. Willie Harrison, Harrison Printing, could print t-shirts. We will need to develop brochures, tri-fold, small window posters and tickets.
• Raffle/Auction: Letters requesting business owners to donate a book basket will also be sent September 2. We could also have a candy table and sell it for $5.00 per bag. Wicihowski suggested getting the candy from Costco and Oriental Trading may have specialty bags. It was suggested asking each board member to donate a basket. Erdman will get PAC and Timber Rattler tickets to raffle.
• Next meeting: At the next meeting, we will review the brochure, restaurateur and local business owner letters and divide the restaurant and business list among committee members to follow up.
Motion to adjourn the meeting at 5:20 p.m. was made by Wicihowski and seconded by Kiley. Motion carried unanimously.
Kathy Dreyer, recording secretary
Next meeting – Thursday, August 2, 2014, at 4:45 p.m.